Sunday, December 13, 2015

Creating High Performance Learning Environment
Analysis of Teaching-learning Situation Videos

Video 1:Roller Coaster Physics

The classroom environment in this video was absolutely amazing. The students were engaged in the lesson, and seemed to really enjoy learning how to build the Roller Coaster using potential and kinetic energy. As I watched the video, it seemed to me that the teacher had already set her classroom expectations early in the school year, and is consistent with reinforcing them. The students were well mannered, raised their hands, worked together and collaborated and not one time did I see any behavior concerns that interfered with the flow of the class. The teacher in this video was really facilitating her class and guiding them through the lesson; she allowed the students to lead and she would chime in when needed and to broaden their critical thinking. The students took pride in what there were doing, and also took responsibility within their groups (group recorder). Furthermore, she facilitated a more student-centered learning environment where students conducted self assessments and peer assessments.

Video 2: 3rd Grade Chinese Math

Although I didn’t understand any of the language in this video, I found it to be quite intriguing. All of the students were seated properly on the carpet facing the teacher, and actively participating in the lesson. There was one student that sat in the back on the class that was not giving any verbal and active participation, however he was not exhibiting disruptive behaviors. He just sat their quietly and watch.

Video 3: Whole Brain Teaching

This was my favorite video!!! I thought the classroom atmosphere was truly amazing. The teacher was very assertive in her teaching, and with ease demanded the student’s attention using the call and response method. I have never been in a classroom where the whole class remember the classroom rules and could verbalize them. This class did just that, not only did they verbalize the rules, they also used sign language and nonverbal hand cues expressing the rules. Something else that I found very unique and useful is how she implemented repetition in her transitions. She would give a simple instruction such as “turn to page 76 in your text book” and the students would repeat her instructions collectively 3 times.
Overall the three videos that I watched were amazing. It was clear and apparent that the teachers had high academic standards, and made their rules, norms, and procedures evident. The teachers also modeled the behaviors that they expected from their students. Teacher modeling is very important when trying to implement high academic expectations, and norms within the classroom. If we want are students to actively participate with as teachers must actively participate engaging all students equally. Even students that are struggling should be included the equal opportunity. Within these videos the students treated each other with respect, and dignity, these behaviors were first modeled by the teacher as expected. Thus the classroom atmosphere becomes and remains a safe place to learn.

How I Foster High Classroom Learning Environmnet 

I often mention teacher modeling as a primary factor in creating high classroom expectations. It is important for me a teacher to model the expectations I expect from my students. This means that I come to work/class on time everyday prepared to render my lesson. I am respectful of all of the students learning needs and abilities, and treat them all with fairness and equality. I praise my students for their hard work, effort, and progress. Even when students are unsure or give a wrong answer I praise them for their effort in trying. Then I address how they got their answer and delve ways to help the come up with the correct answer. I also focus on what they already know to help build on areas that need progress. The techniques and strategies that I will use to create high academic expectations for my Special Education students can be implemented in the general education classroom too. Below are some techniques that I use to cultivate high classroom expectations.

  • I am very aware of cultural and ethnic differences amongst my students
  • I know and understand there learning styles
  • I greet my students at the door everyday with a smile and a compliment
  • I maintain my leadership role both in and outside of the classroom
  • I give constant and daily feedback to my students about the progress and areas that need improvement. For the areas that need improvement we map out Learning Roads. “Learning Roads” is a map that has a core challenge that needs to work on. Then we list all possible routes (roads) we will take in order for the student to master that skill (s).  
  • Establish and maintain effective relationships with students and parents
  • Monitor my own personal thoughts and emotions
  • Incorporate my students interest into the content and personalize activities
  • Present clear and concise information so that all students are able to understand a grasp information
  • I emphasize the importance of student effort
  • I organize students into cooperative learning groups based of their functional levels and learning styles and abilities
  • Align socioemtional strategies into the lessons so that students are learning social appropriateness and  emotional regulation skills, and academics

My techniques and strategies are very similar to those implemented in the video. They all foster a very productive and engaging class atmosphere. The students feel comfortable, and enjoy learning, and are able to progress with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment